bi- prep. prefix
• in, at ◊ They live in Cairo. ◊ Who’s at the door? ▪ بالعربية bi-lƐarabīyati adv. in Arabic ▪ بالليل bi-llayli adv. at night
• by, with ◊ by train ◊ He wrote a letter by hand.
• (untranslated; prefixed to direct object in some instances) ◊ You know all this.
• because of ▪ بذلك bi-đālika adv. because of that
• with, having, in ◊ I want a room with two beds. ◊ dressed in swimwear
• (with passive verbs and participles) by
• (forms adverbs) -ly, in, with ◊ slowly ◊ in fear ◊ with difficulty
• [verb of motion +] take, bring ▪ جاء بـ jāʔa bi- v. bring
بأنْ bi-ʔan [+ subjunctive]
• by (do)ing ◊ “Sometimes others help us just by being in our lives.” (Ahmed Khaled Tawfik, Egyptian writer)
بلا bi-lā, بدون bi-dūna prep.
• without ▪ بلا تردد bi-lā taraddudin without hesitation ▪ بلا جدوى bi-lā jadwā adv. worthless, useless, of no use; in vain ▪ بلا شك bi-lā šakkin, بلا ريب bi-lā raybin adv. without a doubt, definitely, undoubtedly ▪ بلا عقاب bi-lāa Ɛiqābin adv. unpunished
بما bi-mā conj.
• with what, in what ◊ I’m proud of what I did. ▪ بما أنّ bi-mā ʔanna conj. since, because, in view of the fact that… ◊ Since you are busy, I’ll do it. ▪ بما فيها bi-mā fīhā, بما في ذلك bi-mā fī đālika including ◊ There are many problems, including pollution and traffic.